Journey to the cultural and religious heart of Tibet. Visit the Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and the legendary Drepung and Sera monasteries in Lhasa. Trek in the Yarlung Valley, and savour the extraordinary sights and places where Tibetan civilization first originated.
Tour Duration: 10 to 12 days
June – September
Tour Price Per Person ( please see what's included and what's not ):
Based on an 10 day tour:
1,850 US dollars per person, for groups of 2 to 4 people
1,450 US dollars per person, for groups of 5 to 10 people
350 US dollars
The following itinerary is based on an 10 day tour:
Day 1: Arrival
Pickup at Lhasa airport, drive to a comfortable hotel in Lhasa. The rest of the day is free, to explore Lhasa on your own. Overnight at the hotel.
Day 2: Lhasa sightseeing:
Jokhang Temple and Sera Monastery
Jokhang Temple is the holiest temple in all of Tibet. Barkhor, the market adjacent to the temple, is a haven for shopping. One can buy exotic items like yak skulls encrusted with corals and rubies, traditional hand-woven cloth, traditional hand-carvings in stone, hand-crafted leather, exquisite bronze items, and much, much more.
Sera Monastery dates back to the 15th century. It is located a few miles outside Lhasa. It is well-preserved; its architecture a symphony of white-washed walls and golden spires. From about 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. daily, lamas debate various points from their traditional scriptures in the courtyards – a very unique sight, and not to be missed if you are there at that time. Overnight at the hotel in Lhasa.
Day 3: Lhasa sightseeing:
Potala Palace and Drepung Monastery
Potala Palace is a massive palace-fortress that towers over the city of Lhasa, and has done so from the 7th century. The first sight of the Potala is truly awe-inspiring. Potala Palace is the very acme of Tibetan culture, religion and architecture.
Drepung monastery was the world's largest Buddhist monastery, once home to over 10,000 monks. The white lime-washed walls of the monastery shine from a hilltop about 8 km from Lhasa. It is an easy walk up the hill to the monastery. Assembly halls and chapels of great solemnity can be found within its walls. Along with Sera, it is one of two greatest monasteries of the Gelugpa ("Yellow Hats") sect of Tibetan Buddhism. Overnight at the hotel in Lhasa.
Day 4: Free day in Lhasa
The city of Lhasa boasts many more unique places, such as the Norbulingka Palace, the Blue Buddha (Medicine Buddha), Tsapa Lakhang temple and the adjacent Ramoche temple and monastery. Or you may want to spend an afternoon exploring Lhasa’s unique street markets, or visit the institute of Tibetan Traditional Medicine.
Overnight at the hotel in Lhasa.
Day 5, 6, 7, 8, 9: Trek in the Yarlung Valley
Trek for 5 days, explore the Yarlung Valley and the many spectacular sights and views in and around the Yarlung Valley, where Tibetan civilization first originated.
Return to Lhasa on Day 9.
Overnight stays at camping sites on Day 5, 6, 7, 8.
Overnight at a hotel in Lhasa on Day 9.
Day 10: Leaving Lhasa and Tibet
Drive to Lhasa Airport and board your flight out of Tibet.
Tour Prices quoted include the following:
- All accommodation as listed
- Airport -hotel-airport transfers in Lhasa
- Sightseeing and entry fees for Potala palace, Jokhang temple , Sera monastery, Drepung monastery, Pelkhor chode and Gyantse Khumbum, Tashilhunpo Monastery, Sakya Monastery, Kailash and Manasarovar Breakfast in Lhasa, and meals while camping
Tour Prices DO NOT include:
- All visa fees (The required Tibet Permit fee is approximately 114 US dollars - we will advise you of the exact cost for this, and any other required visas or permits at the time of your booking / enquiry)
- Flight cost from your home country to Nepal or China (entry points into Tibet)
- Flight cost to Lhasa from Nepal or China (It is possible to fly to Lhasa from these cities in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Canton (Guangzhou), Chongqing, Kuming, Xian, Xining or Chengdu. It is also possible fly to Lhasa from Kathmandu, Nepal. As a price guide, the flight cost from Kathmandu to Lhasa is approximately 399 US dollars, but we will advise you of the exact cost for your flight from China or Nepal to Lhasa at the time of your booking / enquiry).
- Travel and medical insurance
- All meals except breakfast in Lhasa
- Emergency evacuation
- Personal spending money for sovenirs, extra sightseeing, laundry etc
- Meals other than breakfasts in Lhasa, and those provided during camping
- Expenses arising from events outside the control of Everest Kailash Treks & Tours and/or their agents and suppliers, such as trip delays / trip extensions because of inclement weather, equipment failure. illness or other causes beyond our control
- No refunds can be made for any unused services or accommodation on the trip